Can you believe that the first Portillos was called “The Dog House”!
The Portillo’s Founder, Dick Portillo, spent $1,000 on the first restaurant building, if you can even call it that.
His $1,000 bought him a miniscule 6’X12′ trailer that didn’t even have running water or a bathroom. But boy, did it serve great beef sandwiches 😉
Dick literally had to run a 250 foot garden hose from his tiny trailer to a building 250 feet away to get the water he needed to cook and serve his customers.
In 1967 customers recognized how incredibly tasty his beef sandwiches were, and Portillo’s started making a lot more money. The company was finally able to move into a bigger, nicer building that actually had running water and a bathroom.
Dick also changed the restaurant name from “The Dog House” to “Portillo’s” that year, the name we know and love today.
In the beginning, the Dog House was bleeding money, not making money as a restaurant is supposed to!
So, Dick Portillo snuck around to peek on his competitors and learn where they were sourcing their products and how they were making a profit.
He used what he learned to take his restaurant out of the red and start turning a profit again.
Portillo’s has grown and is a billion times more successful today. You may think I’m exaggerating, but I mean it when I say a billion.
In 2014, Portillo’s was sold to Berkshire Partners for $1 Billion dollars.
Today, you can take the Portillo’s survey online at www.portillos.com/survey to help them get ideas to keep improving.
In return you’ll get a coupon you can use on your next visit.
Portillo’s Survey Prize
Prize: Free french fry with next Portillo’s purchase
*Note: Prize may vary, see your receipt for your current prize
|Survey Prize||Free French Fry Coupon|
How To Take The Portillo’s Survey
- Eat at a Portillos and request to get a receipt to take home
- Go online to the Portillo’s survey site https://tellportillos.smg.com/?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1
- Complete all survey questions
- At the end you will receive a survey validation code to write on your receipt
- Finally you can bring your receipt with your validation code to a Portillo’s to get a free french fry with your next purchase
The Portillo’s survey homepage is a mix of white with red accents. It asks you to enter your 20 digit survey code, which can be found on your receipt, in order to continue:
Portillo’s Survey Rules
- A purchase and saving your receipt are both necessary to take the survey
- You’ll also need to go online to the survey site to complete the survey
- You’ll need to save the validation code at the end of the survey to be able to redeem your coupon
- Prize may vary by location and date
Portillo Restaurant Group Corporate Office
2001 Spring Rd #400
Oak Brook, IL 60523