The founding of the Dollar General is an interesting story that proves you can succeed in life if you work hard, even with limited education.
The first Dollar General store was founded by James Luther and his son Cal Turner on June 1, 1955 in Springfield Kentucky.
The father of the founding pair, James Luther, never received a formal education. This was because his father died when he was young, which forced him to help out on his family farm instead of attend school.
For 10 years James was a grocery traveling salesman before he bought a house with his family and settled in Kentucky.
This was during America’s Great Depression, and James Luther had an enterprising mind. He took the initiative to view the depression as an opportunity rather than a setback.
During this time period he seized opportunity by buying and selling bankrupt general stores. His son was able to watch and learn business skills during this time period.
The father son team finally saved up enough money to open their own general store. The duo opened J.L. Turner and Son Wholesale in 1939, each putting in an initial $5,000 to get the store off the ground.
Their venture was very successful with over $2 million in sales by 1950. This prompted them to open the first Dollar General store in 1955, and people absolutely loved it.
When sales went through the roof, they converted all their stores into Dollar Generals, and the rest, as they say, is history.
In 1968, 4 years after the passing of James Luther, the company was booming with over $40 million in yearly sales, and a profit of $1.5 million a year.
The Dollar General also went public in 1968 and now has over 14,000 storefronts worldwide. In 2002, Dollar General posted $6 billion in sales, and continues to grow.
With the opening of their 13,000th store, the DGCustomerFirst team had a celebration complete with appropriately themed yellow and black balloons, as well as happy employees cutting a special celebration ribbon.
DG wants to make sure its customers stay happy with its great deals and service. They want to stay the #1 choice for anyone who is looking for an affordable shopping option.
To do this, the DG chain offers a DGCustomerFirst survey where customers can give the chain feedback they can use to improve future customer experience.
In exchange the customer receives entry into a sweepstakes where they could win $100 gift card.
Its a win-win for everyone involved. Check out the details below:
- Entry into sweepstakes for $100 gift card, 10 awarded per entry period
DGCustomerFirst Survey Details
|Coupon prize||$3 off $15 coupon|
|Sweepstakes prize||$100 gift card|
|# of Sweepstakes Prizes Awarded||4 per entry period|
|Location||US & District of Columbia|
|Entry Limit per entry period||1|
Take The DgCustomerFirst Survey
- You’ll need to make a purchase at a Dollar General store
- Save your receipt or write down the receipt code
- Go online to the DGCustomerFirst.com Survey Website
- Answer the questions and submit the online form
- Save the code you get at the end of the survey and you’ll be entered into the Dollar General sweepstakes with a chance to win $1,000
Enter By Mail:
No purchase needed for a mail-in entry and entry must be written by hand
- Handwrite your full name, email, address (no PO Box allowed), phone and birthdate on a 3.5X5″ card
- Mail the card to:
Dollar General Survey Sweepstakes
PO Box 251328 West Bloomfield MI, 48325
Here’s what to expect when you land on the survey homepage:
DGCustomerFirst.com Survey Rules & Eligibility
- You must make a purchase at a Dollar General and save your receipt
- You must take the online DGCustomerFirst.com survey to be eligible for the coupon
Dollar General Survey Rules
- No purchase necessary to enter
- Must be a US or District of Columbia resident
- Must be 18+ years old
- Limit to 1 entry per person per entry periodfor the sweepstakes
View the full survey sweepstakes terms and conditions here
Sign Up For More Dollar General Coupons Here
Here is the link where you can sign up to receive text message coupons directly from the Dollar General
Take a look at the winners list here
Contact Dollar General
Online: Contact Form
Looking for more surveys?
Try Walmart’s online feedback survey where you’re automatically entered into their sweepstakes to win $1,000 www.survey.walmart.com
Still looking? It’s ok, we’ve got you! Check out more surveys here:
- 1 DGCustomerFirst
- 2 DGCustomerFirst.com Prizes
- 3 DGCustomerFirst Survey Details
- 4 Take The DgCustomerFirst Survey
- 5 DGCustomerFirst.com Survey Rules & Eligibility
- 6 Dollar General Survey Rules
- 7 Sign Up For More Dollar General Coupons Here
- 8 Contact Dollar General
- 9 Looking for more surveys?